2.6K views

There is a lot of detail left out of many of the reviews here and some of it is important. We can help each other much more if we specifiy the actual model of tire, type of vehicle we use it on, and conditions in which we use it.

I'm on the Canadian prairies where winter conditions make any all season tire freeze hard and slide like a hockey puck on ice, and the summer is hot enough to cook a winter tire to death. My mother was Scottish so I buy old used vehicles cheap when I find one well-looked after. I drive carefully to minimize stress and hard wear on my vehicles and their ancillaries like tires. If you want to push it to the ragged edge you need to equip yourself with the best, don't kid yourself that you can keep that up without spending a lot.

One of the possible issues with the less well known and low price brands is they are more likely to have quality failures and sometimes their product may sit in storage aging while popular tires are getting on the road. Learn the markings, tires should have a four digit number that indicates the week and year they are manufactured, e.g. 2011 doesn't just tell you they were made in the year 2011, it means week 20 of the year (20)11. (The week after that they marked them 2111, that doesn't mean they are from the future.) The warranty doesn't start until you buy them but if they are already defective, you will have suffered the problems even if the warranty eventually solves them. If you find that tire being offered to you "new" it's been in storage for five years which is already half its shelf life if the storage conditions were good. Bad conditions may already have degraded that tire and problems may appear early. If the second two digits tell you the tires are ten years old they might be suitable only for parking, if that. If they don't have that date mark you are at best buying a risk you can't calculate.

Like I just did - no date mark on the set of four used Hercules MRX Plus IV P235/75/R15 which have been on a half-ton pick-up for "a couple of years." I don't know the mileage. They are worn evenly to 9/32nd tread depth with no cracking or other defects visible. I'm putting them on a slightly older truck of the same model so worst case I won't have done badly because they came installed on OEM alloy rims for the same truck but I think chances are they will give some useful service.

Where are Hercules tires made? It should say right on them, two of mine say Mexico, two say U.S.A. Other models might be made in China for all I know. Read the info on the tires you are getting and judge for yourself. Cheap labour in foreign countries helps keep the cost down but it may degrade the quality. Or it might not.

Don't give up too easily when the product at any price point doesn't live up to the reasonable expectations you have of it. When they say "You bought cheap tires, what do you expect?" it cuts both ways. If they sold cheap tires that don't even live up to the low performance standards specified, they should expect to see you again. And again, and again. Don't lose your temper, be civil, but be relentless. "You sold these tires, I paid you what you asked for them, I expect them to at least live up to the low standards specified. But they didn't live up to the deal you made. What would you be saying to me if some of the money I paid you turned out to be counterfeit and you couldn't use it?"

Product or Service Mentioned: Hercules Tires Mrx Plus Iv Tires.

Reason of review: Bad quality.

Company wrote 0 public responses to the review from Oct 14, 2016.

Comments

Dickerin
Houston, Texas, United States #1278751

That is a very reasonable approach. As a former tire salesman, I know that many people neglect to maintain proper tire pressures, balance and alignment.

They still expect the tires to perform well and last a long time. That can't happen.

Personally, I would never buy or drive on Chinese tires. They can be incredibly cheap to purchase and end up costing a lot.